6th Grade Science
The purpose of this assignment is to show your understanding of volcanic eruptions.
- Take on the identity of an 11 or 12 year old in Pompeii, of any social class.
- Use information learned about volcanic eruptions and compose a first hand account of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, August 24th , 79 A.D.
- Along with your first hand account include two drawings. One made before the eruption, and the other showing something from the 24th.
Your account should include three parts:
Weeks/days leading up to the eruption...
- Provide 3 pieces of evidence that an eruption was imminent.
During the eruption...
- Describe with scientifically accurate vocabulary the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in AD 79. Present 6 observations from during the eruption.
After the eruption...
- Let it be known what occurred to you after the eruption.
Here are several leading thoughts to get you started...
- Daily life prior to and at the beginning of the eruption.
- Attitudes toward the eruption and destruction is caused.
- How did people react to the eruption?
- What did you see happening to Pompeii and its people?
- Metaphors used to describe the eruption.
- Why did many think the eruption was the end of the world?
- What were you doing through all of this?
- Eyewitness to History
- An Eyewitness Account of the Eruption of Vesuvius
- Two letters by Pliny the Younger